Making A Difference 6 Career Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Internships; My Personal Experience!

Making A Difference -

It was during my second year of university that I applied for an internship—a marketing internship—to make use of my free time while earning money. I emailed them, like I would for any other position, and they answered. I arrived for an interview. Their office had only one employee, the manager.

The interview went well, and I thanked the interviewer and requested a follow-up. I was called in for a second interview by the manager. He asked me a few basic questions again, and this time he wanted me to create a sample of how I would use my marketing talents to promote the company. I worked quickly on the report and sent it. AND THEY CALLED ME AGAIN FOR AN INTERVIEW WITH THE CEO.

Only the CEO and manager were at the office this time, along with another candidate and me. The CEO was describing how he obtained many sales by persuading customers.

I Requested An Offer Letter, but... 

We were invited to work for the management and CEO. I was alert at the time and understood to request an offer letter. I was offered $100 - 500 when I applied. I used to go to the office once a week because it was part-time.

I realised that their company had low visibility and that they did not know how to use social media effectively. I recommended investing in a logo and developing a brand name. I advised them to work with a company that may help them expand their reach. But the manager dismissed my suggestions and told me to work on whatever I could without spending any money.

I had no official training and was expected to start working right away. I worked on a giveaway and created a logo with free resources, doing anything I could to help. I also took control of social media and attempted to increase reach with the minimal resources I had. They also requested that I submit evaluations for their company under several aliases and user IDs.

It was difficult to generate revenue for a company that functioned under an outdated business strategy. They made the decision not to adapt to emerging technologies.

Meanwhile, I continued to request the offer letter but had not gotten it. I got a photo of it, but it wasn't stamped. The manager insisted on waiting for the CEO to sign and stamp it. I was uneasy working there, but I decided to stay because I had applied.

Then COVID Struck!

It should be noted that this occurred at the start of COVID-19. I had been working for a few weeks when the lockdown was imposed, and I received a mail from the management stating that the internship would be suspended. When I enquired about the compensation, he became defensive and said I hadn't done enough to get paid, despite the fact that the offer had provided a basic salary.

I was very fresh to the employment market. Whatever I accomplished, I thought, was not worth it. But I remained firm and texted him constantly, pleading with him to pay me a portion of my wage, at least for the duration of my employment.

He continued insisting it was a temporary problem and that he would pay me when I arrived at work. I tried to plead for a raise, but he never handed it to me.

It could have been my fault for applying for a job I had no idea about. I attempted but failed to learn and implement digital marketing tactics. It was a terrifying, anxiety-inducing encounter. I didn't think it was worth going to court for a few weeks of work. I broke communication and forgot about the situation until I came across careermistakestoavoid on Women's Web. Because I felt humiliated, I kept quiet about it. The entire situation was traumatic, and I decided it was best to forget about it.

6 Pointers For Individuals Looking For An Internship Or A Job -

I followed all of the necessary procedures while applying for internships and was still duped. Based on my experience, I'd want to provide six suggestions to individuals looking for internships:

Keep an eye out for red flags and leave as soon as you see a handful of them.

DO NOT BEGIN WORK WITHOUT A SIGNED AND STAMPED OFFER LETTER.

Make sure you request a list of expected tasks and responsibilities and stick to them. 

What I mean is that I've heard of interns who are suddenly expected to make tea/coffee for guests and make sure they're welcoming. 

This is most emphatically not your duty! A writer may be asked to multitask and work on SEO, editing, uploading, and social media promotion, but this is not their responsibility. Alternatively, a technical intern may be expected to fill the shoes of a departing manager while a replacement is found.

If you are a new employee, the employer should, in my opinion, provide a training period.

Workplace culture is really important. You should feel at ease with the team and personnel with whom you will be working closely.

Do you feel trapped at work? Do you dislike the polluted environment? Quit! Don't be concerned about your resume! I am confident you can apply for additional opportunities and add the experience to your CV.

I understand how difficult it is to be in financial difficulty. In that situation, begin seeking for better opportunities and attending interviews while still working for the company. Is this your first position? Remember that you do not have to stay with them out of loyalty because there are always better possibilities available.

My story does not come to an end here. Following this experience, I resolved to apply for opportunities to develop my résumé and make better use of my time. I applied for unpaid job since I didn't believe I had the necessary expertise or talent to be compensated. I completed a number of them before feeling confident enough to apply for an internship in content writing that paid $ 100 per month. I couldn't bring myself to apply for high-paying jobs.

My Advise To Other Students Looking For Internships -

Don't make the same mistakes I did when applying for internships. Several businesses take advantage of talent by advertising unpaid internships for a cheap staff. I would advise freshers to apply confidently for any role they believe they are qualified for. Never underestimate your abilities! Demand the pay you are due. Maintain your position and do not be afraid to speak up!

Congratulations on your internship! Best wishes for your future endeavors.

I'll conclude my piece with some food for thought.

Cardit - 

Mirali Borde



Post a Comment

0 Comments